28 by 20 inches
Watercolor on 140lb cold-press
Original for sale!
This piece caused me so much grief, and at times it seemed the world conspired against me to keep it from being finished. I thought I would try a new stretching technique with the paper, and the board curled like crazy. So I pulled out the staples (all eighty of them), bought a new, stiffer, board, and stretched it again. This one took, but in stretching the paper twice, I removed pretty much all the sizing off it. Combine that with the masking fluid and the poured layers, and painting in the details afterward was quite the challenge. Then I wasn't happy with my values, so, in a moment of desperation, I tried using some of Daniel Smith's watercolor ground (I got a jar of it in some promo deal a while back) to see if I could bring back the lights and make some of the transitions I needed. It ended up working, but I brought it back by the skin of my teeth.
But it's done now, and I'm so happy with it. The scanner really doesn't pick up all the different shades of blue in it, but I did my best.
This was the last piece I finished of 2012. Yearly review coming soon.